Training & Support for
Clubs & Organisations to
Include Indigenous Australians
Sports Medicine and Coaching Accreditation Courses
The Office for Recreation and Sport and the Indigenous Sports Program assists Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people gain the latest information on training and medical issues by providing access to coaching accreditation and sports medicine courses.
On obtaining coaching and medical qualifications Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can then encourage community members and young Aboriginal people to take up sport or recreational activities.
There are many courses where people can increase their knowledge or update their qualifications or experience. Courses conducted to date include Level 1 football coaching courses, Senior First Aid, Level O netball, Level O golf and umpiring courses. All courses are conducted through the respective State Sporting Association.
Aboriginal Education Workers Training Program
School-based Aboriginal Education Workers are encouraged to increase their skills and knowledge with the aid of the computer-based Sportsearch Program to identify potential talent within their schools. This program helps students match their physical attributes and skills with sports they enjoy. Students complete a series of 10 tasks and enter the results into the software program.
The program can provide:
- A fitness and skill profile of individual students
- A list of sports students may enjoy and be suited to
- Descriptions of any sport in the program
- Information on contacting sport and recreation organisations.
As a teacher or instructor you may:
- Assess the fitness and skill in young people and monitor their sporting achievement
- Guide young people about sport selection
- Motivate young people to continue or commence involvement in sport
- Access information on more than 80 sports
- Find out about medical conductions and sporting organisations for the people with a disability
- Find out about other sports programs students can become involved in.
The program is easy to use, with everything you need to know contained in the package.
For further information:
Senior Project Officer
Indigenous Sports Project
Office for Recreation & Sport
Phone: +61 8 7424 7677